If you experience shoulder blade pain left side you might automatically think you are having a heart attack and that is not a bad thought as this symptom can accompany a heart attack. However this symptom does not necessarily mean a heart attack.
There are many other causes that you also need to consider. In addition to a potential heart attack, the other serious causes might be stomach oriented like and ulcer or a gallbladder attack, or even lung cancer. So you should always check it out right away.
Let’s look at the other causes of pain under shoulder blade left side such as:
- Arthritis: All forms of arthritis including rheumatoid, osteo and psoriatic can cause this type of pain. It is in no way life threatening but it is usually chronic and calls for treatment.
- Sleeping habit: The cause of your shoulder blade pain could be as simple as sleeping “wrong” – by which we mean sleeping on your shoulder in such a way that it causes muscle pain. This is usually habitual before you notice the pain, but all you have to do is change the way you sleep.
- Rotator Cuff Injury: The rotator cuff in the basically within the shoulder joint and the ligaments around it can be torn or pulled. Many ‘dislocated’ shoulders are injuries to the rotator cuff.
- Frozen Shoulder Syndrome: What happens here is there is a buildup of calcium around the rotator cuff and the bursa in the shoulder. This build up can cause deterioration in the range of motion the shoulder is capable of. It can become so bad that you cannot move your arm and physical therapy is required to correct it.
- Flu: Having the flu can actually cause this exact shoulder blade pain left side. The buildup of fluid in the lungs that the flu can cause will quite often lead to this type of pain.
- Pinched Nerve: Another cause of this type of pain is a pinched nerve which you can have without any knowledge of what caused it. Quite often people have pinched nerves and never know it until they have this extreme pain.
- Fractured Scapula: This is not something that happens very often but if you do break the scapula (collar bone) it will cause this kind of pain. This type of injury is very painful and seldom happens by itself. Usually the cause of this injury is some type of trauma like a car accident or a motorcycle crash.
So you can see there are many different situations that can cause shoulder blade pain left side. Some are very serious and some are mild. Regardless you need to see a doctor right away.